Friday, October 29, 2010

Favorite Friday: Halloween aka the Best Holiday

First off, let me tell all of you readers out there that I am sorry for missing tactical Tuesday this week. I have about 4 papers due and as we speak I am relishing a certain amount of procrastination to share with you my treatise on Halloween. Furthermore, the next few weeks may contain a rather....sporadic....amount of posts, but bear with me, once school is out I'll be posting constantly due to boredom.

Anywho.

A Treatise on Halloween's Awesomeness

I'm weird. I like skeletons. I don't look away when they draw blood from my arm. I read ghost stories. I like gore and guts and big scary men with weird faces stabbing people. I like tinkly scary music. I enjoy cool crisp air augmented with the smell of burning leaves. I adore apple cider. I enjoy having an excuse to cuddle on the couch because I'm scared of the movie. My house is notorious for its kick ass candy selection. Cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin are some of my preferred spices. I like having nighttime longer than daytime. I relish being able to be outside for more than five minutes without getting a mosquito bite.

What does this add up to, ladies and gentlemen?

Halloween Rocks. End of Class. 

Still here? Oh. Well I guess I better give you some notes. 
Now let me get this across as simply and as organized as possible.

5 Reasons Why Halloween should take up half the calendar rather than Christmas:

1) Reese's Peanut Butter Pumpkins
2) Shopping is Fun
3) It's Nice Outside
4) Something for Everyone
5) Good Clean Fun

1) Have any of you people ever had a Reese's Peanut Butter Pumpkin? No? What is wrong with you? No, really. I'm genuinely asking. Because for those who have not discovered the sublime pleasure that is a Peanut Butter Pumpkin, I feel sorry for them. I feel that I must bring them a Pumpkin, unwrap it and feed it to them gently, explaining that yes they will now become one of us.  Okay, creepiness aside, allow me to explain. Once a year for about 2-3 months Reese's makes their Peanut Butter Cups in the shape of a pumpkin. Now what, you may ask, does that change? EVERYTHING. Now almost everyone has had a Reese's peanut butter cup in some way or another. When you bite into one, you are greeted with a snap on top and on bottom with a sublime peanut center, yes? Well, look at the pumpkin. It's a great deal larger than a cup, obviously. But it also NOT cup shaped. This is crucial. The pumpkin is made by making a peanut butter paste that is thicker than the peanut butter in the cup, because they add more peanuts to it. MEANING?! The pumpkin has more peanutty goodness! And on top of this, the peanut butter/chocolate ratio is higher, e.i. more peanut butter than chocolate. It's a creamy, delectable delight for anyone who is as much of a peanut butter fiend as I am.
 
Halloween shopping is not like this. This...is evil

2) Shopping during Halloween isn't stressful. It's FUN! What do you shop for during Halloween? Candy, Costumes and Decorations. It's chill. It's quiet. And most of the time you're surrounded by people who are as weird if not weirder than you are so there is little societal pressure to compete. Even if you wait until the last minute to buy a costume, the hustle and bustle of a costume shop is more to hurry towards a fun party or something instead of "I NEED THAT TOY SO MY DAUGHTER WILL KNOW I LOVE HER." It's a childlike enthusiasm to have fun and therefore---at least in my mind---its more genuine and worthwhile. The shopping season (which all things considered couldn't mean anything else but Christmas) for other holidays simply can't compete with Halloween.

......
3) Look outside. It is 72 degrees outside. There is a slight breeze that rustles through the autumn leaves that have just really started to fall to the ground in earnest. The sun is surrounded by a seemingly everlasting robin's egg blue sky. As daylight eases into night the crisp smell of forthcoming cold surrounds you. Leaves crackle and whisper as a chilly breeze blows. A toasty fire sounds like a good idea to you. Maybe wearing socks to bed or having a cup of warm cinnamon or pumpkin flavored beverage. No longer present is the incessant buzz of insects or the near constant chirp of birds. Instead the rustle to and fro of squirrels is all you hear, running up and across tree limbs securing fodder and lodging for when the temperature drops further. Pumpkins begin to appear everywhere: gas stations, grocery stores, porch steps and hay bales. You find an curious desire to carve one into a face, make it leer or grin at unsuspecting children. Skeletons laugh from trees and flower beds. Witches hang from tree limbs and bed sheet ghosts are draped over bushes and hedges. Cider sounds delicious now. And pies being to materialize on counters everywhere; pumpkin, pecan, apple and sweet potato.
This is why Halloween rocks.

4) There is something for everyone. This time of year is full of media based around the ever present spooky elements of this time of year. And not just movies or even just scary movies! Books, music, haunted houses, costume parties, movies, TV shows. The element of fun is inescapable. To be truthful, you'd really have to hate so many different things at once to not enjoy Halloween. Scary movies? Candy? Reading? Music? Haunted Houses? Dressing up? Watching movies or TV? Come on. Furthermore, the content and quality of the media associated with this holiday is nigh unmatchable with any other holiday during the year. Christmas is probably the only holiday that would even come close and to be honest with you, those kinds of movies only really appeal to the people who celebrate Christmas. Jews, agnostics, and atheists could feasibly enjoy Halloween and/or any of the aforementioned media, whereas these groups most likely would refrain from becoming too embroiled in any Christmas related media. Halloween has something for everyone!

5) Now. When I say "Good Clean Fun" I'm guessing that most would either question my meaning or tell me outright that I am mistaken. Allow me to clarify.  The business of Halloween really has to do with enjoying the ability to be someone, somewhere or something else for a short while. Whether or not it's scared out of your pants in a haunted house or dressed up as the Lady GaGa for the neighborhood Halloween party, you get to step outside the normal for a time and enjoy yourself. That's all Halloween really is regardless of age. Some people may point out that ladies costumes have become "sexified" in past years and that horror movies contain large amounts of violence etc. And I agree but you're taking them out of context. Are the people watching horror movies people who would normally go around killing others in grotesque manners? No, of course not---THAT'S THE POINT! These films are escapist entertainment people. Meant to send adrenaline coursing through veins before ENDING. The End!! It's vicarious terror that has a time and place somewhere other than your living room. As for the sexy costumes, those are being worn by adults who do adult things. If you don't like the idea of dressing up as a sexy nurse, don't. But remember, costumes make you into someone else, at least for a while. I happen to think that the people who don those particular styles of costumes are attempting, at least somewhere deep inside to be something other than themselves or perhaps bring out a hidden part of themselves in a safe environment where EVERYONE is someone they aren't normally.


Well there you go, people. Enjoy your holiday because unfortunately these days Halloween and Thanksgiving rarely get more than a passing glance before the looming season of Christmas begins. Be safe and HAVE FUN!


I have to mention the pumpkins again...watch this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment