Friday, June 11, 2010

Chew #11


When I first picked up Chew, I knew I'd like it.
I mean come on. The guy solves crime by eating the grossest things you can think of....like corpses. Awesome.

So issue #11 was extremely amusing. The end (which I wont relate in detail but lets just say 'just desserts's is an appropriate arc title) is especially 'aw yeah' inducing. Makes you want to give someone a high five.

But I digress.

#11 begins a new arc starting with Chu hot on the case of a murdered politician's son. The delicious (a matter of opinion, since he eats an unsavory....dish) evidence leads towads the beautiful Amelia Mintz and an exotic animal eatery (Chu eats a dead endangered marmet...yummy).

What I like best about Chew is the art. I don't think the story would work nearly as well without the artwork done by Rob Guillory. The happy, bubbly cartoonish figures are doing the grossest and most disgusting things. There's a scene of a dead guy with a rodent shoved down his throat with a pitchfork stuffed in his chest. The potential for someone being put off (ok maybe i'm desensatized but i'm not put off) is so huge but is prevented because of how slightly silly (in an awesome comic book way not a sad Dagwood way) Chu and Colby (whose cyborg face is totally awesome btw) standing there gaping at the dead guy with a rat in his mouth and you KNOW Chu is going to take a honkin' bite out of the rat-thing and its just gross enough to be silly and wince-inducing but not like "omg I'm never reading this again."

I thoroughly enjoy Chew. The entire comic is refreshing morbid and sneakily funny (like watching Chu trying to hit on Amelia Mintz).

Read it. You will love it.
 
Unless you're lame. Then you won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment