Sunday, June 13, 2010

TrueBlood Season 3 Episode 1

Vampires = awesome. I enjoy vampires; ever since I stayed up late one night when my family first got HBO and watched Interview with a Vampire when I was ten I have loved vampires ( Do not be confused. Those sparkly beings Stephanie Meyer has conjured in Twilight are not vampires. Those are sacrilegious teenagers who don't die).  I also didn't know why I enjoyed them so much until I became a grown up. But we won't go there.
Trueblood has made real vampires main-stream, cool, sexy and addictive. And I waited a whole year for season 3 because I just KNEW this show was going to be bad ass.

And boy did that first episode deliver. I love how it doesn't even take any time between the last episode of Season 2 to the first episode of Season 3! There are so many different plot lines going on. No Spoilers but let's just say everyone is in shit right now. Left and right!

What I really love about Alan Ball's direction of this series is how he uses what we know about the shows' characters to draw us in and then how he uses what we DON'T KNOW to surprise the crap out of us!

We do get to see Eric's hiney in the first episode, along with some good ol' fashion vampire violence. I really like how the costume director does the vampire fangs; they're more "realistic" if vampire fangs can be realistic. I never really thought the Underworld, From Dusk til Dawn, and Queen of the Damned fangs were that good. They just seemed silly and rather useless. They were also ugly. These are quite neat and pretty to look at (I'm sure all the wealthier goth kids are out there getting veneers made just like them as we speak).

The blood is the best part. They really went all out. I'm sure the prop master buys the stuff in bulk (man I'd like to work for that wholesale store). I've heard that the stuff on set is made to taste like raspberry, which is really cool to imagine that when Bill bites Sookie she tastes like raspberry. *snicker*
The show does a lot to make the vampire a grown-up medium (hopefully erasing what Twilight and ''Vampire Diaries'' have down to the genre).  But in the end, the whole story isn't just about vampires--a fact that makes the show as engrossing as it is. If it were just about the vampires the favorite characters would either all be vampires or all be humans (Buffy anyone?). The show is about people--both living and undead and the bullshit situations they get themselves into. Covered in blood!!!

Awesome. Can't wait until the next episode. YAAY!







No comments:

Post a Comment