Thursday, June 10, 2010

Crossed: Family Values #1

Let me tell you something about Brits and their apocalypic fascination. For some reason people from the British Isles love to discuss the end of the world. Whether it is Alan Moore (Watchmen), Alex Garland (28 Days Later), Neil Marshall (Doomsday), Terry Hayes (Mad Max 2, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome), and Garth Ennis (Crossed), British people love to talk about the end of the world.

So when I picked up the first Crossed issue after seeing an ad for it in Avatar back in 2008, I knew I was in for an end of the world shtick.

I was not, however, prepared for what Garth Ennis had in store for me. The man must have seen something extremely traumatizing as a child....the dude obviously has issues.  The depravity became addictive and the story told through the horror was engrossing.

Granted, the Zombie angle has been gone over and over, especially in the past few years as the Zombie Renaissance has emerged. "Zombies that are still alive" has been done with 28 Days Later, so its not a totally new angle, but Ennis does a good job keeping you turning the page with a wince, expecting a new level of gross that you just can't help but gawk at.

So now the torch has passed to Eisner-award winning David Lapham.

First things first:
Don't worry, the creepy horrible-ness has not been lost in the author transfer.  Lapham is a gifted story teller and the level of depravity has not lessened with his hands at the wheel.

What I like about the book is that it is really a study on different levels of horror. Lapham makes you chose whom to hate more, those not infected with the Crossed Plague and those who are infected. Lapham draws you in and I think Avatar did a great job picking him.

What I find somewhat troublesome is the switch between artists. I thoroughly enjoyed Jacen Burrows approach to the extremely gory scenes (the horse penis and the legless and armless guy being prime examples of his skill in horror). I am not sure if I like Javier Barreno as much as Burrows. His drawings seem more flat and less detailed (yes, I looked for detail in my gore. so do you, shut up).  I will however give him the benefit of the doubt.


All in all its a good book and a definate must-read for the gore-enthusiast.
I await the next issue eagerly.

No comments:

Post a Comment